Friday, July 18, 2008

Week 9, Thing 21, Podcasts

I had heard of podcasting, and even have a subscription to a podcast that my son started with adult help. He was 7 when they started the weekly show, and it ran for a couple of years. They don't do the show as regularly any more, but it's still set up for when one is posted. So I had an iTunes account that is used for lots of stuff in our house. But for this "thing" I was searching for something library related. What I found was that there are lots of things out there, but the descriptions I was finding weren't what I really needed. I had to listen to a lot of stuff before I found one that I really liked. I found bookwink. It's a podcast of children's books that are related to a theme (best friends, dragons, avalanches, etc.) But what makes this podcast even better is that there's a website http://www.bookwink.com/ that has more titles. Bookwink's mission is to inspire kids in grade 3 through grade 8 to read, so all the titles are meant for that age range.

My school does "Explorations" every other month. It's like an intensive where teachers teach a single topic for one day. I've done volcanoes, rocketry, Harry Potter and dinosaurs, to name a few. Kids sign up for an "Exploration" of their choice. As a teacher it means that I get kids from multiple classes and various grades. I'm thinking that I could do an "Exploration" on podcasting. I'm very excited about this!

1 comment:

Ann said...

bookwink is a great resource and I will add it to the presentation that I am doing at the Library leadership Academy next week.

Ann