Thursday, July 10, 2008

Week 6, Thing 14, Technorati

Let me start by saying, I was not impressed by Technorati. I tried approaching this "thing"as a way to figure out how to make Technorati work for me. I found the menu for finding items with "any authority" to "alot of authority". I played around looking here and there and found it to be overwhelming. So I decided to do the assignment as directed. I did a search of "School Library Learning 2.0" a couple different ways. When I did the search with "any authority in English" I found 68 posts, 20 videos, and 10 blogs. I wondered if I could narrow it further and did the same search, but with "some authority in English", this time I found 8 blogs, 20 videos, and 0 posts. Maybe I narrowed it too far, but I wasn't so overwhelmed.
I made the same kind of search of tags. I found 11 tags with "any authority in English", and 0 tags with "some authority in English". I couldn't find Raven About Web 2.0 at all no matter how I searched. I don't know what I was doing wrong there.
I next went to Blogger Central and found Boing Boing to be the #1 blog. I checked it out and found the subjects to be scattered, and hit or miss if it was something that I was interested in.
As I stated at the beginning, I was unimpressed with Technorati. I couldn't figure out where I was hierarchically, it was too much information and organized in a way that didn't make sense to my digital immigrant brain.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I have to admit that I am with you on Technorati. The technorati search left me, how does my niece put it...under whelmed :-) I tend to have much better luck finding things through recommendation and in reviews in professional journals.

In general I have not found any of the blog searches particularly helpful although Googles has been the best of a bad bunch :-)

Ann