Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Week 8, Thing 19, Library Thing

I had not heard of Library Thing before. I created an account http://www.librarything.com/catalog/Sharon_on_the_web added the Battle of the Books titles that I have read this summer as well as the latest title from my book club. I liked that I could add tags to the titles. My ratings were pretty close to the average rating. The discussions were kind of misleading though. Most of my books showed that there were discussions, but most of them didn't pertain to the book.

The best use I saw for the virtual book shelf was for my students to keep track of books. My school does portfolios and I had already decided this coming year I want students to do a self-reflection about what we did in the library since the last portfolio share. I want them to be able to write at least one book (favorite?) that we read in the library or that was checked out from the library. I could either have each student do their own Library Thing account where they can keep track of their books and rate them. Or, have an account for each teacher and the titles would be listed for the class, and each student could use their name and a rating of 1-5 (i.e. Sharon5) as a tag to identify that they heard or read it. I've played with Good Reads (http://www.googreads.com/) and have about 50 books in there already, but don't think it would work as well for my students for their portfolios.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I like the suggestions on LT. I have to admit that I hadn't been doing much with it before this class since it had gone down the list with the press of things to do, but now that everyone is blogging about it, I have used it and even written a couple of reviews the last month.

I like the idea of using LT for your kids to rate books. Be sure to add that to the curriculum wiki.


Ann