Thursday, July 10, 2008

Week 6, Thing 13, Del.icio.us

I'd seen Del.icio.us before. When I was in the SLMS program at UW one of the teachers had us learn (search, post, etc.) Del.icio.us. But I never really felt comfortable with it. This time, I thought "this has potential!" It seems like the last two months (unrelated to this class) I have been finding that the bookmarks I wanted weren't on my list. It was usually because I was in Internet Explorer and I had saved something when I was in Firefox or vice versa, or sometimes it was because I was at home but had found it at work and it was bookmarked there. So, I set up an account and the first thing I bookmarked was the site for this class. I found that two other people had already done the same thing. I looked at the tags they used and saw that we used similar or the same tags. Next I bookmarked the school district home page and my school home page. I like that when I find something that someone else has previously bookmarked, I can see other things they have found and benefit from their searches. Hopefully as I add to my list, others will benefit from mine as well. I can see how this could be far less confusing than how I have been doing things. Next I went to iKeepBookmarks to see what I had put on that account about a year ago, and need to think through if I want to put the two together, or if they will serve different purposes. I was using iKeepBookmarks for when a teacher asked for resources to supplement their curriculum.
The "Social Bookmarking in Plain English" tutorial by Lee LeFever was great. I have found his other tutorials to be very helpful too.

3 comments:

Ann said...

LeFever is by far my favorite on YouTube and TeacherTube. His are really "in plain English" and they will appeal to kids.

I have to admit that del.icio.us is my new best friend. Now that I have updated my firefox I have a side bar where I can access my Del.icio.us bookmarks right fromt he browser without going to the site and I can search there. It has eliminated that very problem you had about which browser and which computer did I save that in.

Ann

Anonymous said...

I love LeFever, too. He's very clear and concise. He makes me believe I can be successful at almost anything.

I have used IKeepBookmarks so that I could share with staff and adult students. It was really easy to use and most folks found it useful. When I get to week 6, I'll try the other site.
Elaine D.

Jill said...

I am not very good at bookmarking so I have found Del.icio.us a helpful tool to try and solve some of my bookmarking issues. It is however only a good as the tags that are used when searching for others information. I have found it very helpful in several instances. I will get much use out of it in the coming year.