Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Week 8, Thing 19.1, Digital Pipeline

I have looked at Digital Pipeline in other classes, but I didn't remember most of what I had discovered in the past. I didn't remember how to make a folder, save things temporarily, or that I could email articles to myself until I saw it on the tutorial. I don't think I ever knew that if I hovered the mouse over the magnifying glass and paper that it would give a short description of the resource. I found that School Library Journal is available, and I have tried viewing journals on line, but I like having paper in my hands when I read (digital immigrant here.) The Consumer Health Database was one that I hadn't looked at before. I researched a couple of illnesses/diseases that my family members are dealing with right now. It was as easy to navigate through as the rest of the databases that I explored, although some of the videos were more fluff than substance. I spent a lot of time looking at what was in different categories. But I don't think I would use the small engine and automotive repair databases.

The Flash Movie about the new EBSCO Host interface may have been informative, but I found that having no sound, it was too long and hard to follow in places. Also, at the beginning and end it said "EBSCO host 2.0 Clean. Powerful. Intuitive." I would agree it was clean, powerful and intuitive. But 2.0? I thought I had a handle on what 2.0 was, and EBSCO databases doesn't really fit in the definition. It is certainly very powerful and if my students can navigate through the OPAC and Google, they can certainly find their way through the EBSCO databases.

The Digital Pipeline tutorial was helpful and I can see using it with students.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I agree that EBSCOs new interface is not 2.0 in the sense of web 2.0 In programing it has to do with updates to programs. 2.0 means it is an almost complete overhaul instead of just a small upgrade which would be indicated by a .1 , .2 etc. I think they are trying to be cute.

Glad that you were able to find some new things on the DP. I don't get SLJ in paper format so I like the journal alert as it allows me to take a look at the main articles and keep in touch although I agree that I wouldn't want to give up my paper copies of VOYA

Ann