Thursday, July 3, 2008

Week 4, Thing 9, More RSS

So yesterday I set up my Google Reader account and spent a couple hours looking for feeds that would not only fulfill the assignment requirements, but also be useful to me. Today I look at "thing 9" and find ways to search for relevant feeds. (Guess I should have looked ahead yesterday.) I found Bloglines to be the easiest to navigate through but was opposite of what I was expecting to see in terms of page layout. The blogs that were the best matches were on the right, not in the middle. I don't usually look at the right side, because that's where Google puts ads. I didn't like Blogdigger and Syndic8 because neither of them had descriptions of the blog/feed on the results page. "Award-winning blogs" didn't interest me, and "school library blogs" was to disjointed for me. Topix, Technorati and Google Blog Search all had nice layouts but didn't come up with what I wanted quickly and/or easily. But, the best place I found for finding feeds was in the LM NET archives. I added Joyce Valenza's Never Ending Search and NPR: Children's Books.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I have to admit that I didn't really know why I should care about RSS until I did this class either. Now I love the fact that I can check my 5 feeds in one place and with the widget on my laptop, with one click. There's no way I could keep up with the class blogs without RSS.

I have to agree that I was also disappointed in many of the blog search tools, especially Technorati which is touted as the best of the best.

Most of the blogs/feeds that I use have been recommended by other librarians or I have read reviews. of.

Ann