Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Week 5, Thing 11, Award-Winning Applications & NING

I have a class reunion coming up next year, and so I thought I would look at the social networking mainstay sites.  Twitter, the number 1 site isn't set up to do searches for people like I wanted. Facebook (number 2) worked great!  I could search by school and year.  I found a few people, one that wasn't at the first reunion, but may have been at the second, (not sure since I don't have a record of that reunion.)  I was surprised to find my daughter registered on Bebo.  That could be a whole separate blog entry!  MySpace and Friendster didn't have any classmates that I could find, but that wasn't a big surprise to me since these looked like sites for people a bit younger than myself and my classmates.  
I saw nings for the first time when I took the School Librarians Leadership Academy last summer.  I'm a member of the ASD Librarians Ning and the Alaska School Librarians Ning and thought I had also joined the  Teacher Librarian Ning, but when I went to sign in, it said I wasn't a member.  So, I signed up for that ning and joined the Elementary School Librarians group.  I have to admit that I don't do a good job of participating or even keeping track of these nings.  Maybe I can add them to my RSS feeder to keep up better.  I'm still not clear on the difference between nings and wikis.  I think I want to start one for the class reunion I mentioned earlier, but need to find out more about wikis to figure which would be a better application.   

1 comment:

Ann said...

Hi Sharon

The things you find out about your kids on line..... I think that having a specific need - like the reunion - is what the web 2.0 thing is best at. I know that the Librarians Ning was uneven in its use, but when people cared about the topic (like length of call numbers :-) it got a lot of use....

Ann