Saturday, July 12, 2008

Week 7, Thing 16, Wikis

I spent a few hours on a decent Saturday looking at various and sundry wikis. The best by far was Harper-Allen Team wiki - This is our place to post class news,... I saw so many things that I could use in my school library. The student book reviews were great. I've heard about students doing reviews on a wiki for a couple years now. As I was reading some of them, I thought it would be a great way for students to keep track of the Young Reader's Choice books that they have read. There was also a parents book club were parents could review books that dealt with parenting kids that age. On the parent page there was also a link to sites for leveled books - I have parents ask me all the time what would be a "just right" book for their child, and this is one more source that parents can use. There was a place for homework/assignments, and since I also teach a 2nd grade math class, I saw possibilities in that.
I also liked teacherlibrarianwiki. The book lists were great.
I highly recommend Lee LeFever's wiki tutorial http://www.commoncraft.com/video-wikis-plain-english, once again it gave me the foundation I needed to understand the world of wikis.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I love the idea of using the wiki for kids to keep track of their YRC or even BOB books.

Ann