Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Week 8, Thing 18, Google Docs

O.K., I never knew that something like this existed. I do a lot of lesson planning at home. When I create a document at home, I email it to myself at school. I like to have the document at school, so I can easily make changes or whatever. Since I use both a PC and MAC at home, I usually print it out at home, just in case it doesn't email well (formatting gets messed up or what ever.) I love the idea of being able to create my documents online, and accessing the document from either platform and any location.

I decided to try Google Docs because I was familiar with Google Reader, and Zoho didn't look as easy to me. Also Google Docs has a way to work on your documents offline, and then when you are online again, it syncs everything together. I typed part of this post in Google Docs, saved it and then reopened it to finish the post. It was quite easy to do.

The one thing that didn't work cleanly for posting from Google Docs to my blog was there was no place to title the post in Google Docs. So I had to edit my blog to add the title (and now this last paragraph.)

1 comment:

Ann said...

I have to admit that I think GoogleDocs is right up there with Voice Threads and sliced bread for not only cool but very helpful. I have used googledocs to do word docs and spreadsheets that multiple people had to add to and it was so great to not have 10 of them that I then had to collapse into one.

I have looked at ZOHO but I haven't used it. Googledocs is what we use in the curriculum department.

Ann