Monday, July 28, 2008

Chapter 7 “Online Safety and Security”

My district has adopted iSafe to teach students about Internet safety and security. I use the curriculum for 3rd - 6th grades in collaboration with the technology teacher. This year we will be getting a new tech teacher and I’ll have to find out if that person will be willing to continue this joint unit between the library and technology. We cover copyright (the music teacher also does a lesson on this), personal safety online, ethical behavior, and social networking, as well as other things that students bring forward.
I need to review my school’s AUP. With all the new Web 2.0 tools that I have learned about in this class, there are some applications that I want to use with my students. I need to find out if these uses are allowed in our AUP. If they are not, our AUP needs to be reviewed.
Most parents expect that their child(ren) will learn Internet safety at school, and although parents want to do what they can to ensure their child(ren) are safe online, many don’t know how.
I like some of the alternatives that are listed at the end of this chapter if my school wants to start using Web 2.0 tools, but can’t (because of being blocked) or doesn’t want to be open to the entire Internet.

No comments: